Removing templates

May 29, 2009 at 5:57 AM

Should we remove the template functionality? It makes sense to have them for some RPG systems, but frankly they're just hard and inelegant to implement. Is it worth keeping them around in their current, fairly bad state or even trying to improve them, or should we just get rid of them altogether and save ourselves the embarrassment?

Oct 22, 2009 at 11:27 PM

A kooler, more dynamic and useful, but also more difficult way to do "templates" would just be to have some tool where you drag out a shape (circle, quarter circle, square) that increases in size as you drag the edge further from the square you centered it on, highlighting which squares it's going to select, and letting go colors those highlighted squares (as a far background element). It's probably hard to program especially since we don't really have good mat cell support. But it would be wicked useful and sexy looking.

Oct 23, 2009 at 12:09 AM

You know what, screw highlighting squares, that's just not our way. I propose that you draw the shape and it just hangs out on the board like that - let the players decide which squares are covered enough to be in the area. I think a circle, "cone", and square shape would be suitable (from the same or different buttons??) with some way to choose edge color and fill color...

Maybe this goes under a new discussion, but I'd think we could have a straight line tool that would help with line of sight stuff, no tool that calculates lines in squares or anything. And sadly I think measuring distances is too hard.

Nov 9, 2009 at 4:00 AM

Can you summarize the end result of this thread? :-) You want to keep the current templating system? And we should add a line tool to allow temporary checking of line-of-sight?

I'd like to modify the system slightly. All tokens and templates should be scalable / rotatable. What do you think?

Jan 31, 2010 at 1:13 AM

I think a generic Paint-style shape tool would be more useful than our current template options - probably square, circle, and quarter-circle (cone). A line tool would also be useful for drawing or manual LOS checking. Worrying about foreground or background colors for these tools could muck up the interface a lot; we'd probably want to have a central color choice thing that's also shared with pen colors.

Rotating and scaling all tokens would be very useful.